Monday, June 19, 2006

The Buffalo food rundown

Tuesday dinner: Ted's

Two hot dogs with cheese, hot sauce and extra onions. Hot, melty yellow goo with a cheddarish flavor atop bork (that's beef + pork) in a skin of edible plastic, smothered in spicy red sauce and mixed with a glacier of deathbreath-producing white onions. MMMMMM.

Wednesday lunch: John's

Footlong Chicken Finger Sub—medium spiciness for the fingers, tomatoes, bleu cheese, mayo, on a white bread sub roll and provolone cheese. They did this one just right with the cheese just melting, but not running, and I'd always recommend asking for just a dab of bleu cheese. It's ridiculously simple, yet entirely too rare. Like most music snobs, part of me is saddened when my fave indie band breaks big and I know I'd sorta feel like that if my fave Buffalo foodstuffs (is that not the best word evUH?) went national. But at the same time, I should be able to eat one of these things more than two to three times a fucking year!! [and i've tried making them, they're soooo NOT the same.]

Wednesday dinner: Pizza Plant

Pod with eggplant, red onion, black olives, mozarella and tomato sauce. I think my fave thing about the Pod is the eat-it-with-your-hands quality or the it's so clean when it's finished. The Pod is essentially a calzone, and yet another foodstuff that they just don't quite pull off in California. Then again, Los Angeles can't even make a decent slice of pizza save for a few spots. So I suppose something more authentically East Coast Italian has no shot in hell.


Thursday dinner: Out at Hogan's Hideaway

Dinner was just a four-inch tall turkey club. But dinner began with a Genny Light. I've never felt so gloriously trashy.

Friday dinner: John's

Just some basic pizza and wings. Is it so hard to flatten some dough into a circle, cover it with tomato-based sauce and mozarella cheese and then bake that for like 15 minutes? Is it? IS IT? Not the best wings in town, but solid. Very solid.

Monday lunch: John's

Steak and ring sub. It's pretty basic, just like it sounds. Thin slices of steak grilled then covered with warmed, just melting mozarealla cheese, tomatoes, mayonaisse and of course deepfried onion rings on a tomato basil sub roll. The biggest flaw here is that often the onion ring's structural integrity fails and you end up slurping an onion string through your lips leaving large portions of the sub, sadly onion free. This is another of the places specialties. It's horrible for you, I could even feel my arteries hardening. But oh so tastey to eat cow again. Well, not really, but I know that if I lived in this area code I'd still be eating mammals regularly instead of just once a year.

2 comments:

machiko said...

Wow. That made me sooo unnecessarily hungry, even though Ive probably never experienced REAL American food with all the fake/sloppy/cheap/gross food we get in L.A!

S said...

You are killing me!