Saturday, September 16, 2006

Maybe Tipper was right about the PMRC

So I'm at Tower Records in the checkout line buying the new Kasey Chambers' CD "Carnival," which is excellent (more rockish that previous efforts), and Cat Power's "The Greatest," which is also fabulous, Thursday night when a 12-year-oldish boy slams open the doors and rushes into the store.

"There's Justin Timberlake's SexyBack."

A beleaguered looking dad trails behind, slumping his shoulders that his son is using the phrase "SexyBack."

"That just made my day," says the manager, who is total hipster (nerd, black plastic-framed glassees, short hair with bangs the longest part of her 'do, tight black t-shirt, etc.), while the checkout clerk smirks.

"Me, too," I echo. I was so bemused that I failed to notice that they overcharged me for the Cat Power CD. I bought it because it was just $9.99, but I found out later that they charged me $11.99. Fortunately, they were cool and when I brought it to their attention later they took care of everything no questions asked and with an appropriately sincere apology.

-----------------------------------------------

In other news ... yay for Republican senators John Warner, John McCain, Lindsay Graham and Susan Collins decided to vote their consciences and joined the weak-on-defense Dems on the Armed Services Committee and decided that it was honorable to vote against legalizing torture. It's really great that our President can't find it in his "Christian" heart to denounce torture. Of course he also wants to legislate discrimination against homosexuals, deny a woman the right to control her body, claim that people who question him are terrorists,
cane anyone who listens to rock music and tar and feather vegetarians.

No comments: