Monday, March 12, 2007

Hope for the newspapers and journalism and THE FUTURE

In my capacity as an editor at a teen newspaper, I often end up serving as a sounding board for our student writers/artists regarding their futures. It's one of my favorite unofficial parts of the job; I think in large part because I never had anyone to indulge the tempestuous vectors I envisioned for my own seemingly limitless opportunities that had one thing in common--they all led to unseen (interpreted at the time as dark) horizons.

Well, one student, Selina, recently blew my mind (not surprising or uncommon for our students, her especially). Below is a fragment of an e-mail about her possible career plans ...

... I'm very confused though about what I want to major in and do as a career. I don't want to major in journalism, really, because it seems strange to me. It seems like you are a journalist because of your interest in other things, not just because of an interest in the style of journalism. Know what I mean? But that's just my opinion.

"It seems like you are a journalist because of your interest in other things."

It's not often people encounter Truth with a capital "T" but this was most certainly one of them. Thanks, Selina.

Mike

No comments: