Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Reductionism

I love the Internet. I love technology. I love my computer. But I hate that they devour my time. I hate that I can't keep up with Entertainment Weekly, monthly comic books or bi-monthly Good Magazine. And I really hate that I haven't read a book in two-plus months.

So beginning yesterday I am going on a diet, along with my friend Amy. We're dumping the Internet for at least two hours every night (unless work-related, like a freelance project or a deadline editing assigment. For instance, last night I flash checked my work email at 10 p.m. to make sure a student, who will be interviewing her principal later today, hadn't asked me questions about conducting the interview) once we're home. The starting period is 9 to 11 p.m. every night. This will likely mean a slight decrease in blogging, because I am also going to try my damndest not to cheat by writing blog posts in Pages and then cut and posting at 11:01 p.m.

I feel good about this. It's in line the clothing and material goods purge. As I was thinking about that today I realized that I'm going to go through my closets one more time to make sure I dumped the unnecessary clothing and that I still have to sort and toss the shit under my bed.

Hoo-ray! Hoo-ray!

No comments: