Thursday, February 17, 2011

Woe Canada

Growing up in Buffalo so close to Canada had a huge influence on my cultural, specifically musical, development. The Toronto radio station CFNY made a huge impact as noted in this blog several times. Through it I discovered: The Tragically Hip, Spirit of the West, Sarah McLachlan, Single Gun Theory, Moxy Früvous, The Barenaked Ladies, Sloan, Sara Craig, Leonard Cohen and gained a greater appreciation for Van Morrison.

I also was able to watch Good Rockin' Tonight on the CBC on Friday and Saturday late nights. They were more mainstream pop/rock oriented with plenty of American stuff. But they also did their best to promote Canadian acts including the one below. I loved this song when I heard it the first time. It's got a fast beat and excellent (though extremely produced) harmonies. That was apparently enough when my taste defenses were down at 12:30 a.m. and home alone.

Without further ado a musical confession from my pre-snob days also known as the days I thought that listening to major label releases in the "Alternative" section at major retailers made me different, just like the millions of other Nirvana and Pearl Jam and Singles soundtrack fans.

No comments: