Monday, October 30, 2006

Grammar police

A few months ago, I deputized myself as a part of the Irony police promising that this blog would point out misuses of the word "irony" or "ironic." Well, thankfully since donning my badge, I've had just one or two irony-abuse entries.

However, I need to add another. "Then/Than."

See this example from espn.com ...


Question: Being a Giants fan I have very mixed feelings about Eli Manning. What's your take?
Green: I think he continues to get better. I think Eli's foot mechanics and throwing mechanics are much better then last season. I think he is doing a better job of reading the defense and taking what the defense is giving him. I think he is on target with the way he is progressing each season.

He MEANT "than" in this instance. THAN IS USED FOR FUCKING COMPARISONS.

No comments: