Saturday, January 20, 2007

Really beautiful poetry

These are the unofficial lyrics to the song Acid Tongue by Jenny Lewis (which I hope makes it onto the next Rilo Kiley album). This is yet another incredibly sad song courtesy of the woman who I think is one of the best songwriters alive. Adam Sandler (no musical genius) in The Wedding Singer (no brilliant truth) said that as a songwriter he wants people who listen to his character's songs to think "man, i knew what that guy was going through when he wrote that." Well, that's basically it. And you know something, I think he's right. That's what has fueled my love of Rilo Kiley's music. Amazing songwriting and beautiful and unpredictable music.

Lyrics to Acid Tongue:

I went to a cobbler
to fix a hole in my shoe
He took one look in my face and said,
'I can fix that hole in you'

I beg your pardon
I'm not lookin' for a cure
seen enough in my friends
in the depths of the god sick blues

you know I am a liar
you know I am a liar
nobody helps a liar

'Cause I've been down to Dixie
And dropped acid on my tongue
Tripped upon the land 'til enough was enough

I was a little bit lighter
with adventure on my sleeve
I was a little bit drunk
and looking for company

so i found myself a sweetheart
with the softest of hands
we were unlucky in love
but I'd do it all again

we built ourselves a fire
we built ourselves a fire
but you know I am a liar
You know I am a liar

And you don't know what I've done

And by the rolling river
is exactly where I was
there is no simple cure
for unlucky in love

To be lonely is a habit
like smoking or taking drugs
and I've quit them both
but man was it rough

and now I am tired
You just made me tired
Let's build ourselves a fire
Let's build ourselves a fire

No comments: