Wednesday, January 18, 2006

My favorite fortune tellers

I've been really lucky since moving to Los Angeles to meet some amazing people and land a job (working with students at a non-profit, teen newspaper) that I find rewarding on the big levels and very enjoyable on a day-to-day basis. One of the really cool things is staying in touch with students when they head off to college and sharing from afar their new lives and discoveries. I've been especially fortunate to watch two students at Stanford as they've gone from former students to something more akin to friends. This year G and G burned me a couple mix CDs for my birthday/xmas. On one of the CDs is the amazing Neil Young song "Old Man." I was impressed, though ultimately not that surprised, that they would include such amazing music on their lists. I also of course assumed that they weren't making any statement about their old editor.

However, last week, when a convergence of factors (deadline, late stories and being short staffed in the office) forced me to work a 60-hour week I realized that their gift was too prescient. I've been more tired in the last couple days than I can honestly remember. I have literally struggled to stay awake at work, even after getting like 7.5 hours of sleep, which usually is more than enough. Hot damn, I'm getting fucking old. That's also what's kept me from updating in the past week.

No comments: