Sunday, August 03, 2008

The glory of change

An article in the L.A. Times yesterday about high-fructose corn syrup versus natural cane sugar got me jonesing for Coca-Cola imported from Mexico, because it's got the cane. So I gave into my urge and bought a bottle (glass, thank you) this afternoon on the way back from skating.

Cost $1.49 but I was able to scrounge up enough change in my car to buy it that I didn't need to open my wallet. This barely felt like an expense. I also turned down getting in on roommate pizza. Though that was less money-driven and more I've-had-a-lot-of-pizza-and-pizza-bagels-lately driven. But I'd be lying if I said money wasn't a factor. Well, not so much the small cash value, but wanting to honor the discipline of avoiding these seemingly small, random expenditures.

No comments: